So I have tried, or wanted to try to sound like Collective Soul my entire solo career. Probably the closest I’ve ever come was in my early band Felix Culpa.
Since Blue Cartoon I have wanted to ROCK! But somehow I keep TWANGin. It’s not a bad thing, it’s just what happens when it comes together on record.
I would like to hip you to a couple of bands I have been grooving out to, and longing to sound like, but probably won’t.
- Silversun Pickups – Catch and Release
- Nada Surf – The Voices
- Ken Andrews – Alergic (an in the studio look on YouTube)
- Band of Horses – Is There a Ghost (on YouTube)
- Snow Patrol – Open Your Eyes (on YouTube)
- Minus the Bear – Studio Promo (YouTube)
- Future Clouds and Radar – The Epcot View (Robert Harrison was the primary song writer for Cotton Mather)
- Porcupine Tree – Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
- Sunny Day Real Estate – Television (an acoustic session on YouTube)
I think these bands and songs sort of typify the term “darker side of pop” that I use in conjunction with Buzzie. Cause I’m Pop and I’m Rock and I’m Americana and … And I want to ROCK darker!
You might be able to find most of these on my Blip.fm playlist.